One jelly-roll pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment or foil.
1.5 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1.5 cups rolled oats (not quick oats, but in a pinch, I suppose you can use them)
1/3 cup granulated or light brown sugar (I prefer light brown)
1 T baking powder
1 t table salt
8 T cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
1.5 cups dried cranberries
1 c milk OR buttermilk OR plain yogurt (if using buttermilk or yogurt, add 1/2 tsp baking soda)
1 T sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 . Set rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 450.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Pulse 5 times at 1 second intervals.
3. Add butter pieces, pulse 12 times or until the mixture resembles fine meal.
4. Add dried cranberries and milk and pulse 3 or 4 times until a soft dough is formed.
5. Flour the work surface generously, turn the dough out onto it and fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times, until it is less sticky. Flour your hands...this is a little messy.
6. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts and press each into a 5 inch disk. Using a floured knife or bench scraper, quarter each disk into wedges.
7. Arrange scones on prepared pan. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes.
Eat em up, YUM.